Call for Application 2024
Rest & Resilience Fellowship
CALL FOR APPLICATIONS HAS EXPIRED
The Rest & Resilience Fellowship is a joint program by the taz Panter Foundation and Reporters Without Borders (RSF), which has taken place annually since 2015. This year’s call for application is open from on!
Application Deadline was: November 19th, 2023, at 11:59 pm (CET)
Planned Fellowship Period in Berlin, Germany: May 1st - October 31st, 2024
WHO WE ARE
RSF is an international human rights organization that defends the freedom of the press and information worldwide. The taz Panter Foundation, in close cooperation with the tageszeitung (taz), supports critical journalists as well as the social engagement of independent initiatives in Germany and worldwide.
THE FELLOWSHIP PROGRAM
We invite two journalists from countries with restricted freedom of press and information to Berlin for a period limited to six months. During their stay, the media professionals take time off from their daily obligations to recover from their difficult working conditions and to expand their personal and professional horizon. At the end of the six months, the fellows return to their home countries with renewed energy and fresh perspectives to continue their journalistic work.
If they wish, participants can withdraw completely from public life. However, the fellowships will offer different workshops for further training and networking purposes and participation is strongly encouraged. Additionally, the time spent in Berlin offers opportunities for exchange with international journalists from all over the world, get to know German editorial offices, take language classes, and take advantage of individual psychosocial counseling, if desired.
COSTS WE WILL COVER
- Visa and travel costs
- Furnished apartment in Berlin
- Travel health insurance for the six months spent in Berlin
- Monthly grant of 1000€
- Psychological support
- Workshops (e.g. on digital safety training, stress management)
- Professional journalistic and/or personal training opportunities
INTEND PERIOD OF STAY
The stay in Berlin is limited to six months. The projected time period of the fellowships will be from May 1st to October 31st, 2024.
HOW TO APPLY?
The Rest & Resilience Fellowship is open to journalists from countries with restricted freedom of press and information. Apply now!
Application deadline: November 19th, 2023, at 11:59pm (CET)
REQUIREMENTS FOR A SUCCESSFUL APPLICATION
- Eligibility for the program. The applicant has a firm idea of how the six-month fellowship in Berlin can have a positive impact on his or her current situation.
Please Note: The fellowship should be used for personal development and, if necessary, professional reorientation; the journalist can return to their home country with new viewpoints and replenished energy.
- Several years of work experience as a professional journalist.
Please note: Although the work of human rights activists is very valuable, we cannot invite individuals who are not professional journalists, as they do not fall under RSF's mandate.
- Personal threat profile due to journalistic work or difficult working conditions caused by external factors.
- Proven knowledge of the English language. The applicants must be able to communicate well in a professional context.
- A passport that is valid for at least twelve months at the time of application (or can be independently re-applied/renewed).
- A state of health that permits longer travel and the six-month stay in the host country, as well as sufficient independence to handle everyday affairs on their own in a foreign setting.
- Ability and willingness to return to the country of origin after the fellowship period.
Please note: Applications from journalists who are unable to return to their home country due to the political situation or their own threat situation can unfortunately not be considered in the application process. This is mainly due to the fact that no visa will be issued by the German authorities without a possibility of return.
We actively seek a diverse applicant pool and encourage candidates of all backgrounds to apply.
Your application must include the following documents:
- The completed and signed application form.
- A scan of your current passport (valid for another 12 months, or independently renewable).
- Your curriculum vitae in tabular form (CV).
- A letter of motivation (1-2 pages) in which you explain why you are applying for the Rest & Resilience Fellowship. Please address what specific factors endanger or complicate your individual working situation. Please also write how you plan to use your stay in Berlin and how it will positively impact your future work in your home country.
Please send the completed application form and other requested documents in PDF format to: email@example.com
Please send your application in a secure and encrypted way, note that your email is only end-to-end encrypted if both the sender and recipient addresses are Protonmail addresses. You can set up a free Protonmail account here: https://proton.me